This is the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2020 Reading Challenge! I’ve done it for the past three years, and it’s something I plan to keep up for much longer. My favorite part about this challenge is that it encourages reading. It asks you to read books you already love, books you know you’ll love and also diversify your yearly reading a bit. They’re an eclectic mix of 12 challenges of varying degrees of difficulty, which is why I keep coming back.
Check out her original announcement page if you’re looking to join in the fun! Please let me know if you have any recommendations for the challenges below, if you see that I haven’t completed it!
This page will look unfortunately dull until challenges have been completed 😳😞
~ Start date: Jan. 1, 2020
Read a book published in the decade you were born
I was born in 2000, so I’ll have to find a book published between 2000-2010.
Read a debut novel
- I’m thinking of reading Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston for this one!!
Read a book recommended from a trusted source
- For this one I’ll be reading The Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan. It was recommended (over and over and over and over) to me by my internet-friend Emmy! Find her on Twitter @Book_Obsessor and on Instagram @Southern_Reader
Read a book by a local author
- I live in the southern Ohio-area, so I’ll have to do some research for this, but I know Katie McGarry and Cinda Williams Chima, two favorite authors of mine, live around here! I think Kami Garcia may, as well…
Read a book outside your genre comfort zone
- For this one I will be reading There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins. I haven’t read Anna and the French Kiss, or any of the other books in that series, so this will be my first book by this highly touted author! It’s a thriller/mystery that comes recommended, so hopefully I will enjoy it as much as the peanut gallery seems to!
Read a book nominated for a 2020 award
- For this one, I’m planning on reading Crescent City! It’s a book by Sarah J. Maas, so it will likely be nominated in the Goodreads Choice Awards.
- If for some reason it doesn’t become nominated, I think A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh will do nicely :)
Read a book in translation
- … any recommendations??? This challenge always gets me :(
Reread a book
- I will hopefully be reading The Raven Boys series again this year by Maggie Stiefvater so I can read Call Down the Hawk.
- If I don’t, I will also hopefully be rereading A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab, so I can finally read that third book in the series.
- If That doesn’t happen, I will be rereading Harry Potter this summer, as well as many other book because I’m a huge rereader!
Read a classic book you didn’t read in school
- … any recommendations? I don’t have one picked out for me yet. My dad recommends Where the Red Fern Grows, but it has a dog and it’s bound to be sad so I’m procrastinating.
Read three books published by a favorite author
- This will likely be a Kristen Ashley challenge. It doesn’t say they have to be new books and not rereads, but that’s what I will be shooting for. Hopefully something will come along!