Surprised to see a monthly TBR post? Me too! I don’t typically do them, because I’m such a mood reader that I rarely stick to them 🙈😊😁
However, as it’s the last month of the year, there are some year-long reading challenges to complete, some December readathons to fulfill, and so much to read!! Ahhh!! I’m truly unsure how this year got so out of hand. I have a week-and-a-half left of college, finals, and then it’s Christmas. Where has the year gone?? I last I knew, it was Halloween and I was shocked.
YEAR-LONG READING CHALLENGES
romance roundabout reading challenge
This is a year-long challenge that I’ve participating in for three years now! It was originally hosted by Under the Covers Book Blog, but they discontinued the challenge this year in order to host a brand-new one – which I am also participating in! But I loved this one so much, I wanted to continue to do it anyway. The way that they hosted it gave you thirteen romance sub-categories, and challenged you to read one, three or five (you pick) books in each category.
Me being the over-achiever I am, I picked to read 5, and still have some blanks! If you want to see the full progress on my challenge, click here! But listed below is what I’m hoping to read to complete the challenges :) Still left to do…
Read 2 Urban Fantasy Romances
- The Guest House Witch by Desy Smith (Goodreads | Amazon) – ARC
- Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews (Goodreads | Amazon)
Read 3 Sci-Fi Romances
- Sweep of the Blade by Ilona Andrews (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The ET Guy by VC Lancaster (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The New Guy by VC Lancaster (Goodreads | Amazon)
Read 1 Historical Fiction Romance
Read 5 Steampunk Romances
- The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross (Goodreads | Amazon)
- Mission: Improper by Bec McMaster (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Mec Who Loved Me by Bec McMaster (Goodreads | Amazon)
Read 1 Mystery Romance
This is the new challenge that Under the Covers Book Blog is kindly hosting! You can find the challenge website here. But basically, it’s a year-long reading challenge based of of a repurposed monopoly board, where each square has a new challenge! You can roll a die and complete the challenge’s square you land on, or you can complete every square around the board – in order. Which is what I’m doing.
You can see my updated progress and learn more about the challenge here. But the remaining challenges I have to complete…
London Street: Read a steampunk novel
Library: Read a book of your choice
Alien Avenue: Read a Sci-Fi Romance
Austen Row: Read a historical romance on UTC’s Recommended List
Subway Uptown: Read a chef/foodie romance
- Bittersweet by Sarina Bowen (Goodreads | Amazon)
- … or Savor You by Kristen Proby (Goodreads | Amazon)
Mayfair: Read a historical fiction novel that features a class disparity
winter magical readathon
The O.W.Ls Magical Readathon in April and the N.E.W.T.S Magical Readathon in August are two readathons that I love participating in each year! (Although this is my first year, I will certainly be doing it for many more to come!) But the winter readathon is more a relaxed, special format.
In a very loose explanation, there are five “chapters” that will be released once a week throughout the month. They loosely correlate to the second Harry Potter book, but only loosely since she only had five chapters to work with. You don’t learn your prompts until then, so I can’t do a lot of planning ahead of time, but I’m certainly looking forward to the weekly surprise 😊 You can find challenge information on the website here!
Chapter 1 Prompt: Let the de-gnoming begin! Pick a read from your existing TBR that is longer than 500 pages! Thinning the not-read pile one book at a time!
- This prompt will unfortunately have to wait until ‘m home after these two week so finals :( I didn’t bring any large books like that with me, so I’ll have to scour my shelves once I’m home!
- BUT I did just finish The Will by Kristen Ashley (definitely recommend! Small-town single-dad romance that’s smokin’ hot) which was over 500 pages, so worst comes to worst, I can count that :)
Chapter 2 Prompt: From mundane to magical – read an urban fantasy!
on my shelf challenge
Each month, starting this month, I’m going to ask people to pick a number. That number correlates to a book on my book shelf. Out of the books that are picked, I then have to choose one of them to read that month that I haven’t read before. Check out this month’s blog post.
So for December, I have to read at least one of the following books…
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor (Amazon | Goodreads)
- The Wallflower Wager by Tessa Dare (Amazon | Goodreads) –> This is one I’m leaning towards!
- 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne (Amazon | Goodreads)
arcs to read this month because I’m an idiot
Note to self: do NOT accept ARC requests for December next month! I do not have the time, with the holidays; the space, with all the books I have to read to complete my challenges; nor the willingness to read them with all my holiday books.
- Shelf Awareness by Katie Ashley (Goodreads | Amazon)
- Smart Girl Mafia series by Amiee Smith (Goodreads | Amazon)
- Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things by Jacqueline Firkins (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Last Valkyrie by Karina Espinosa (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Guest House Witch by Desy Smith (Goodreads | Amazon)
- The Book Witch by Desy Smith (Goodreads | Amazon)
holiday reads I hope to get to
- Holidate by Monica Murphy (Goodreads | Amazon)
- Christmas in the City by Various Authors (Goodreads | Amazon) – CURRENTLY FREE
- Authors include: LJ Shen, Vi Keeland, Penelope Ward, Helena Hunting, Penny Reid, Sarina Bowen, Elle Kennedy, LH Cosway, Corinne Michaels, Melanie Harlow, Kennedy Ryan, Sierra Simone
Are you participating in any year-long readathons you’re rushing to catch up on? What about any month or week-long readathons in December? There are so many going on! Let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! 💕✨